Saturday 10 May 2014

The Fast and the Furiest

Today Wash and I got up early and drove out to Hamilton where we registered for an owner and dog 5K run. I completed a 5K run last fall and loved it, and thought it would be a great experience with the dog. So, when I heard about this race from Wash's trainer I was all too eager to enter.

Washburn and I hadn't trained very well prior to the race, and are both feeling a little out of shape after the harsh winter, but this gave us the excuse to get out and give it all we had!

We were thrilled that Jason joined us. He didn't run, but he was a valuable member of the team. He was our driver, our cheerleader, our photographer and the one that kept reminding us to stay hydrated. I'm so glad he could be there with us.

The race was tough. Not because of the length, but because of all the distractions. There were dogs EVERYWHERE. It was really hard for Washburn to focus on running. Instead, I found that he focused on chasing the dogs in front of us. He practically pulled me through the first Kilometre, then he was so exhausted from chasing other dogs that he slowed to a walk! It was all I could do to keep him going.

We stopped at every watering station but kept trucking along. I had to laugh as we approached Kilometre 4 and Wash started to do the poop waddle. I stopped briefly, only to realize he was staling for time! So I pulled him along and we raced ahead of 3 dogs in front of us and finished the race in 32 minutes (we think). I was so focused on the finish line that I didn't even see our photographer, Jason, waiting by the finish line. Apparently I ruined all the shots by running behind other runners and dogs. But the race wasn't about the pictures, it was about the time and experience with our dog.

I think, despite his exhaustion, that he really enjoyed himself. I know I did.

The weather was sunny, warm and windy. A perfect combination for a run.

We hope to do more of these events in the near future.
Exhausted and passed out on the car ride home

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment